The Dynamics 365 2020 wave 1 has brought new enhancements throughout the Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management in the sectors such as planning, asset management, IoT intelligence, salesand procurement,warehouse managementandin manufacturing, making the D365 supply chain management more reliable, user-friendly and high performing.
Here in this blog we’d introduce you to the new features of supply chain management of a few sectors, you can find out about all the features of D365 SCM in our subsequent blogs.
1) Production scheduling based on asset availability
This feature allows to have a complete view of manufacturing resources as it could be integrated with planning engine and services, it helps to gauge the production scheduling. With this feature one can now schedule the production process based on factors such as maintenance, material availability, requirement etc.
2) Fixed asset integration with asset management lifecycle
This functionality aligns the end-to-end process flows by being able to integrate Fixed Assets module with asset lifecycle.
It empowers customers to install or take charge of assets by building the seamless process flows between the Fixed Assets and Asset Management modules. Any financial impacts that occurs to an asset during the maintain phase will traverse to the Fixed Asset module for required actions.
3) Visual scheduling for work orders
This feature enables users to visually schedule the maintenance work orders using the Gantt chart.
4) IoT integration with asset management maintenance
This features allows the user to generate maintenance requests in asset management in case if any unforeseen even occurs such as production delay or equipment shutdown in IoT intelligence.
5) Integration with new Project module changes relating to project type
By being able to integrate with the project module changes this feature provides tighter interfacing thus providing enhanced controls over finances, maintenance costs and to invoice work orders.
6) Multiple inventory asset representation
This new functionality allows customers to create as many inventory representations as required. Inventory accounting in dual currency and inventory accounting in dual valuation is supported. Several ledgers can be created for a legal entity since multiple inventory representations can be obtained. Also the field ‘Convention’ holds any number of accounting policies that could be associated with one or more ledgers. Also, the multiple inventory representations support multiple inventory accounting policies , it also has an enhanced feature that allows the user to track back the audit to it’s original document.
7) On-hand services
This feature provides a separate micro-service that provides real-time access to inventory information but without adding extra load and unaffecting the performance. External systems can access this on- hand service through RESTful APIs that enable on-hand information on given sets of dimensions to be queried, and that enables retrieval of a list of available on-hand positions.
8) Improved job card device
Job card device is now equipped with the features that were previously available only on job card terminal, example, improvements in the user interface of the Report progress dialog box, will now provide more insights to the floor workers. This could equip the shop floor workers to improve efficiency and reduce error.
9) New data entities for the manufacturing area
Data could be now extracted for building analytics and visualization from the new data entities feature, this is going to open up different prospects for the users. D365 2020 wave 1 allows to collect new data entities for the manufacturing area, they are-
- Capacity reservation – allows users to export capacity reservations
- Batch order formula lines – allows users to import and export batch order formula lines
- Batch order co- and by- product – allows users to import and export batch order co- and by- products.
- Production route transaction – user can export production route transaction.
- Production jobs – Allows user to export production jobs.
- Indirect activities (JmgIpcActivity) – user can import and export indirect activities.
- Indirect activity categories (JmgIpcCategory) – user can import and export categories for indirect activities.
10) Manufacturing intelligence
This new feature helps on answer the crucial questions like “Are we going to meet our goals today?” and “Is my production line healthy?” This feature provides a Production Insights dashboard for production managers and executives, such as,
Insights on the current performance and industry standard measures for Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE), with timelines and trends in context, augments the supervisor’s knowledge with data insights to recommend actions.
New Features of Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management 2020 wave 1
Find the details of the new features of 2020 wave 1 on IoT intelligence, planning, portals and warehouse management of SCM.
11) IoT intelligence core insights
Delayed orders: 2020 wave 1 brings in new features to tackle delayed orders, it enables notification services and actions for delayed production orders and for its impacted operations. Enables users to take relevant business actions for delayed orders, including the ability to view impact or create a maintenance request.
Equipment down: Provides notification services and actions for managing equipment-down scenarios. Users are equipped with features that helps to define metrics for machine-down thresholds and notifies users during such scenarios. Enables users to take relevant business actions for delayed orders, including the ability to view impact or create a maintenance work order.
Quality anomaly: Provides notification services and actions for managing quality anomalies. Users are equipped with features that helps to define quality attributes for products and get notified when exceptions to these attributes occur.
Automated inventory updates: Provides automated inventory updates and the ability to define batching rules.
No-code capability: code-free method for users to connect their machines to IoT intelligence service.
12) Master planning includes items with on-hand inventory when pre-processing filters are enabled
Once the new feature, Include items with on-hand when pre-processing filters is enabled in Feature management, it ensures that items with on-hand inventory will always be included in the master planning run when the Pre-processing: Automatically filter by items with direct demand setting is enabled on the Master planning parameters page.
13) Customer self-service experiences
To give the customers a sense of self service experience, the customer portal template is introduced into D365 SCM environment. It is a Power Apps portals template available in the Power Apps template gallery allowing companies to create an externally facing website linked to the SCM.
Though it doesn’t provide end-to-end solution, it helps companies bring dual-write, Power Apps portals, and Supply Chain Management together to create a self-service experience for the customers.
The feature provides following functionality:
• View order history
• View account information
• Create orders
• Preconfigured web roles and entity permissions for Power Apps portals users.
Warehouse management and transportation
14) Catch weight product processing
This feature provides a catch weight tag that captures the weight of the particular unit. This feature cancels out the reductant process of weighing the product multiple times, and instead weigh the product only once—at the time of receipt. This feature is beneficial for products that don’t change weight over time (such as frozen shrimp) and products that have a handling unit of measure that is shippable (such as a box of shrimp). The user scans the catch weight tag to identify the weight at the time of picking or packing based on the product configuration, also, the invoicing will be done based on the captured catch weight tag.
15) Inbound and outbound logistics improvements
These previously existing features are now available for the customers to include these features in production environment through Feature management
• Quality check – Allows to do quality checks right at the time of receiving to the inbound dock area.
• Put away clusters – This features allows to segregate multiple license plates at once and put away to different locations.
• Packaging product dimensions – This allows users to have different sets of dimensions for items with nested packing
• Local utilization – This serves as a tool for warehouse managers to easily view and filter the volumetric utilization of location across the warehouse.
• Location license plate positioning – In a multi-pallet location, this allows the user to see where the LP is located. It adds a sequence number to the plate for each licensing put to a location.
• Location product dimension mixing – This new location profile functionality allows you to decide whether configurations, colors, style, and sizes can be mixed on a certain location (profile) or if only one or a combination of some of those dimensions can be put to the same location.
• Flexible warehouse-level dimension reservation – This enhancement introduces flexibility in the inventory reservation policy to allow businesses who sell batch-tracked products and run their logistics as WMS-enabled operations.
• Small package shipping – helps for setting up carrier login credentials, printing labels received back from carrier web services, charging freight to customer third-party accounts, additional freight terms, and additional accessorial delivery types.
• System-directed work sequencing – this setup offers the ability to sort and filter which work orders the system will present to the user for execution.
• Wave load building – Advanced load building allows the wave to assign the shipment to an existing load.
• Warehouse slotting – Warehouse slotting allows you to create replenishment work at any time based on order demand.
• Wave label printing enhancements:
Allows labels to be printed according to number of cartons on a single work line, without using the containerization feature. Includes enumeration of the labels, support for reprint of labels, voiding of labels, clean-up of wave label history.
16) Mass deployment for Warehouse mobile app
The feature allows users to silently perform a mass deployment of the connection settings for the Warehouse mobile app. Customers can choose the deployment tool of their choice (such as Microsoft Intune) to deploy and service warehouse mobile devices.
17) Enhancement to use existing catch weight tags with warehouse management
This feature adds support for using a mobile device to report a production order as finished when catch weight tags have been registered in advance for the appropriate order.
Use the Mobile device menu items page to add this feature to any mobile-device menu item that uses the Report as finished and put away work creation process.
18) Warehouse management – inbound load management enhancement
The feature gives a new association of the purchase order inventory transactions with the load ID when receiving from the Warehouse Mobile device. Also has an update to the inbound load warehouse handling operations called as “Multiple product receipt postings per load.” this allows multiple product receipt postings for the same load. Wearhouse managers can now keep the load open even after running the product receipts, this allows multiple quantity register for the same load. These enhancements will allow ISVs to build more robust solutions when integrating with the load entity.
Trade and source
19) Enterprise scale – purchase system performance
Based on the customer feedback on purchase order processing scenarios, some key improvements have been made to system performance which helps customers who are dealing with a large volume of purchase orders in different scenarios.
20) Enterprise scale – sales system performance
Same way there are a few key improvements done to the system performance which can assist customers dealing with a large volume of sales orders. These improvements help in both manual entry order and import scenarios.
Find more about the new features of Trade and Sources on our next blog.
New Features of Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management 2020 wave 1
In the final part of our three part blog on Dynamics 365 SCM 2020 wave 1, we introduce you to the new updates on trade and source features of SCM
Trade and source
21) Calculate PO delivery date based on lead times and working days (public sector)
One can now use this feature to automatically calculate the delivery date considering the vendor’s lead time and organization’s working-days calendar. This option allows to enter Vendors lead time for each line and taking working days into account a delivery date is generated from the confirmation date. After the admin enables the feature, the admin must enable the functionality using the procurement and sourcing parameters.
22) Country of origin enhancements
Dynamics 365 Supply Chain Management includes a related field on the product master document on country of origin, this enhancements will build on that existing capability. These enhancements will provide the capability for the procurement organization to document this information. They can then use this information to prepare shipping documentation.
23) External catalog enhancements
With the new catalog enhancements, the procurement organization can enable the logging feature that captures common issues that might require changes to external catalog parameters this solves the issues involved in merging external catalog.
24) Hazardous materials product information management
This enhancement brings an additional field that is used to store data related to the item descriptions, this helps during shipping regulations on the dangerous-goods lists.
25) Hazardous materials shipping documentation
An additional documents is introduced that can be used in the warehouse to manage shipments that contain hazardous materials. The new documents are an enhanced bill of lading, CMR document, multimodal dangerous goods document, enhanced packing list, and Verified Gross Mass (VGM) document. These documents will work much like the existing bill of lading. The operator can generate the data for the document and then edit as needed to include external data or adjustments needed to represent the shipment.
26) Miscellaneous charges enhancements
This enhancement gives the sales entry operators the ability to allocate sales header charges to sales lines. Additional sales charges has the ability to set up from and to amounts. This is being made available on purchase orders to allow scenarios for charges to be assigned based on the value of the purchase order.
27) Purchase order delivery via cXML
The manual communication of the purchase order from the employees of the organization to the vendor is now simplified by the added support for the cXML purchase order request message. You can enable vendors for this feature if your supplier supports receiving the purchase order. The procurement team can enable background processing for the purchase order sending the order, and they can monitor the acknowledgment of purchase orders.
28) Sales process control via enhanced order holds
In a usual B2B scenarios, the processing between intra-departments of an organization consumes time, the new feature equips the company to reduce the time consumed in this process. With this enhancement, users can use status indication processes to enable communication of the order status and requirements for follow-up activities to control the order. The status information is visible on the warehouse release and shipment, enabling the communication of status information between the sales representatives and the operational fulfilment teams.
29) Delegation of multiple purchasing work items
Handing over the work to a colleague is made easier with this feature that enables users to delegate multiple work items to another user in one action on the Work items assigned to me page.
30) Sales order operator efficiency – distribution
Sales order management efficiency is important for distribution businesses that need to process and manage large volumes of sales orders. The enhancement has made improvements that reduces the number of steps needed to perform actions around, quick order entry, order editing, inventory availability, and item searching.